Try homemade chocolate for V-Day

Nothing says Valentine's Day like a box of chocolates. But why not take it up a notch and treat your sweet to some straight out of your own kitchen? Peter Higgins of Purdy's Chocolate, one of Canada's most popular chocolate companies, shares his recipes for blueberry almond bar and hedgehogs.

Blueberry almond bar
print recipe
Rating:
( rated)
Servings:
Makes four 3-ounce chocolate bars Servings

Ingredients

    • 1 cup of 70% cocoa chocolate
    • 4 ounces of roasted almonds
    • 2 ounces of dried blueberries

Preparation

Baking Directions:

Melt the 70% chocolate slowly in a microwave oven until the chocolate is about 80% melted, leaving about 20% still solid. Melt the remaining chocolate by stirring the mixture until all solid chocolate has melted.Add in blueberries and almonds. Mix until completely blended.Pour mixture into chocolate bar molds, or on to wax paper (for bark) evenly and let dry at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 15 minutes.

Hedgehogs
print recipe
Rating:
( rated)
Servings:
Makes 33 mini hedgehogs Servings

Ingredients

  • Chocolate shell recipe

    • 1/2 cup milk chocolate
  • Center recipe

    • 1/2 cup milk chocolate
    • 1/2 cup milk chocolate
    • 1/2 cup Belgium hazelnut puree

Preparation

Baking Directions:

To make the shellMelt the milk chocolate slowly in a microwave oven until the chocolate is about 80% melted, leaving about 20% still solid.Melt the remaining chocolate by stirring the mixture until all solid chocolate has melted.Pour the melted chocolate into your mold (any mold shape will do, if you can't find hedgehog molds) just enough to cover the walls of the mold. Pour the excess chocolate out of the molds so you have a nice thin shell. Let the mold sit to dry.Prepare the centerBy mixing the melted milk chocolate and hazelnut puree.Ensure both ingredients are at 85F or 15C. Blend the ingredients together. With a piping bag, pipe the mixture into milk chocolate shells.Using a spatula, spread the leftover milk chocolate on the mold, and smooth out any air bubbles. This will create the bottom of your hedgehog shell.Let the mold dry at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for 15 minutes.







0:00
 
0:00
Your video begins in
0:00
TOP