'Top Chef' Ilan Hall makes 'hoppel poppel' and pancakes
"Top Chef" Ilan Hall shares a simple, one-pot family recipe for hoppel poppel, a sauté of bacon, chicken and rice. For breakfast, serve up Hall's pancakes with blueberries.
- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 pound leftover cooked chicken (can be beef or pork too), chopped or shredded
- 2 ears of corn on the cob, cooked and sliced off the cob
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley, basil, cilantro or other soft leafy herb, torn
Sauté the bacon until it's completely rendered. Remove the bacon from the pan and set to the side. Sauté the onion until it is nice and caramelized, about 5 minutes. At 3 minutes, toss in the garlic to sauté, but don't let it brown.Add the chicken, corn, tomatoes and rice and warm through, about 3 minutes. Crack egg over the top, put a lid on the pan and cook until yolk is still runny. To serve, break yolk and toss through the pan. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with leafy herbs.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Heat a griddle to 350 degrees. If you don't have a griddle, heat a large frying pan over medium-low to medium heat. Grease the griddle. When it's hot enough, a drop of water will skitter across the surface, evaporating immediately.2. Beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla until light and foamy, about 3 minutes at high speed of a stand or hand mixer. Stir in the melted butter.3. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar, stirring just to combine. A few lumps are OK. Set the batter aside to rest for a couple of minutes; it'll thicken a bit as it stands.4. Drop the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto the prepared griddle or pan; a muffin scoop works well here. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon berries atop each pancake.5. Cook the cakes until they're golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip them over, and cook till the other side is golden, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.6. Serve the pancakes immediately. Or transfer them to a platter, cover, and keep warm in a 200 degree oven. Enjoy with butter and maple syrup.