With its hefty price tag, this is not your average backyard burger. Chef John Greeley of the world-famous 21 Club in New York City shares how you can make this gourmet burger at home.
- 1 pound chuck (cut into cubes)
- 1 pound top round (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup beef fat (cleaned and cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (to infuse oil)
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon black tellicherry pepper (fresh ground)
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons duck or pork fat (rendered and melted to room temp)
1. In bowl over ice (to keep meat from turning brown), blend all ingredients by hand. 2. Run through meat grinder twice. (OK to also blend by hand.) 3. Form into 12-ounce meat balls, then form into burgers with small pie tin. 4. Wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour to set. 5. Brush burger with oil, clean and oil grill, and cook on moderate heat. 6. Do not press down on burgers while cooking or overcook.