Looking for something sweet to eat after dinner? Try this savory spiced cranberry Bundt cake from Bon Appetit magazine. Not only is this delicious dessert simple to make, it's also a treat for your taste buds. Whip it up at home!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour or almond meal* (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain reduced-fat (2%) Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup halved fresh or frozen cranberries (do not thaw)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons (about) orange juice
CakePreheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add both sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract, then Greek-style yogurt. Add dry ingredients; beat just until blended. Fold in almonds and all cranberries. Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan. Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely. IcingStir powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons orange juice in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Mix in more juice by 1/2 teaspoonfuls to reach consistency of heavy cream. Spoon icing over cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Let stand until icing sets, at least 30 minutes. Do ahead: Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover with cake dome and store at room temperature.
*Almond meal: Sometimes it is labeled “ground almonds”; available at specialty foods stores and natural foods stores. **Chinese five-spice powder: Blend usually contains ground fennel seeds, Szechuan peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise, and cloves; available in the spice section of most supermarkets and online at penzeys.com.Greek-style yogurt is especially thick and rich, even the reduced-fat variety.