Sweet delight: Spiced cranberry Bundt cake
Looking for something sweet to eat after dinner? Try this savory spiced cranberry Bundt cake from Bon Appetit magazine. Not only is this delicious dessert simple to make, it's also a treat for your taste buds. Whip it up at home!
12 to 14 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour or almond meal* (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder**
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain reduced-fat (2%) Greek-style yogurt
- 1 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup halved fresh or frozen cranberries (do not thaw)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons (about) orange juice
CakePreheat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Whisk first 8 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add both sugars and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract, then Greek-style yogurt. Add dry ingredients; beat just until blended. Fold in almonds and all cranberries. Transfer batter to prepared Bundt pan. Bake cake until tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely. IcingStir powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons orange juice in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Mix in more juice by 1/2 teaspoonfuls to reach consistency of heavy cream. Spoon icing over cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Let stand until icing sets, at least 30 minutes. Do ahead: Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover with cake dome and store at room temperature.
*Almond meal: Sometimes it is labeled “ground almonds”; available at specialty foods stores and natural foods stores. **Chinese five-spice powder: Blend usually contains ground fennel seeds, Szechuan peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise, and cloves; available in the spice section of most supermarkets and online at penzeys.com.Greek-style yogurt is especially thick and rich, even the reduced-fat variety.