Spice up dinner with 'pink' clam sauce, zucchini salad
Try linguine with delicious pink clam saucePlay Video
5 lucky people win a Mr. Pizza grill package
8 kids, 5 sisters, 3 dogs, 1 home: 'It Takes a Sister'
There are otters loose in the studio (and in a city near you)
Backyard BBQ etiquette: 'Can't we suck the bones?'
Here, chef Daisy Martinez makes a 'pink' clam sauce you can enjoy with bread or linguini, a raw zucchini salad with lemon and manchego, and broccoli di rabe with garlic, oil and pepperoncini.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- Pinch red pepper seed
- 4 fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
- 5 basil leaves, torn
- 2 dozen littleneck clam
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 4 slices garlic bread or linguini
1. Set the oil over medium high heat adding the garlic and the red pepper seed, cooking until fragrant and softened. Introduce the fresh tomatoes, stirring to mix well, then add the basil and clams. Cover and lower heat to medium, cooking until clams are open, 7 minutes. Discard and clams that do not open. Check for salt and serve.2. Serve over a piece of grilled garlic bread in a soup bowl or over a bed of linguini.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 heads of broccoli di rabe, trimmed of touch stems
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper seed
1. Set a large pot of salted water over high heat to the boil. Add the broccoli di rabe, and cook 3 to 4 minutes when the greens turn a bright verdants color. Drain and shock in ice water immediately. Using a clean kitchen towel or your hands, squeeze the broccoli di rape dry, coarsely chop, and set aside for service.2. Pour the olive oil into a large skillet, and add the garlic, cooking until softened and fragrant but not brown. Add the red pepper flakes, cook for one minute and add the broccoli di rape, stirring well to mix until heated through. Serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 4 medium sized zucchini
- Zest of 2 lemons (save the juice)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Manchego cheese curls
1. Pass the zucchini through the julienne portion of a mandoline until the seeds are visible. Turn the zucchini 90 degrees and repeat with the remaining sides. Set aside in refrigerator to chill until service.2. When ready to serve toss the zucchini with the lemon zest, and the fresh parsley. Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Serve immediately.