Chicken pot au feu may sound fancy, but it's actually an easy and delicious dinner that can be whipped up in just a few simple steps. The literal translation of this French dish is "pot on fire," and it involves simmering meat and vegetables together and creating a flavorful broth.
Here, cookbook author and entertaining expert Katie Lee shares her tips for preparing this entrée and pairing it with a fall bistro salad and a bread pudding that's also made in a slow-cooker.
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 red-skinned new potatoes, halved
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin 1 1/2-inch sticks
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Minced flat leaf parsley, for garnish
Generously season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet (I use cast iron) over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown chicken about 4 minutes on each side.Place onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in the bottom of the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Place chicken on top and pour in chicken broth and white wine.Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low or 8 to 10 hours on high. When there is one hour left to cook, add the zucchini. Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley.
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, tarragon, and parsley)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the lettuce and herbs in a medium bowl. In a glass jar or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallots, salt and pepper. Shake to combine. Pour over the salad and toss. Serve immediately.
- 1 loaf brioche, or white country bread, cut into cubes
- 1 cup apples, peeled, cored and small diced
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups whole milk
- Caramel sauce
- Vanilla ice cream
Spray slow-cooker with non-stick cooking spray.In a large bowl, combine bread and apples. Set aside.In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, vanilla and milk until well combined. Pour mixture over bread. Transfer to slow cooker. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours.Serve in individual serving bowls and top with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.