Slim and scrumptious! Viewers healthiest cheeseburger recipes
Healthy cheeseburgers! Get the skinnyPlay Video
Super Bowl showdown: Burgers vs. barbecue!
TODAY anchors make their Super Bowl 50 picks: The snacks!
How to eat nachos like a team player
Romantic homemade goodies to make your Valentine's heart melt
After sorting through diet-friendly and delicious submissions from our "Too Good To Be Healthy" competition, we've narrowed it down to these three savory and low-calorie recipes from our viewers. Here, they serve up a bacon cheese inside out turkey burger, naked buffalo burger and greek turkey lettuce sliders.
- 8oz extra lean ground turkey (i had the 99% lean kind)
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini (100g)
- 4 tbsp real bacon bits (28g)
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats (60g)
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 the laughing cow mini babybel® light rounds (or an 1 1/2 oz of your favorite cheese
Put all the ingredients in a bowl except the cheese. Mix well. The mixture will be moist. Separate the meat mixture into 4 equal parts of about 4 oz each. Now take 1 of the 4 oz parts and separate into 2 small patties.Open a round of mini baybel light cheese, cut in half lengthwise to make two circles. Place one of the cheese circles in the center of a small patty. Top with the other patty and form together. Repeat to make other 3 burgers.Grill the burgers about 6 minutes a side. They will stick especially if the grill isn't hot enough. Use non-stick spray or rub the grill with a bit of oil to help.
- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 1 egg white
- 2 slices flourless, sprouted low sodium bread, toasted and chopped into bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup montmorency dried cherries, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1tbsp fresh, extra virgin olive oil for burger, and another 1 tbsp for cooking
- 1tsp kosher salt
- 1tsp fresh ground pepper
- 4 tbsp stilton bleu cheese, sliced or crumbled
Heat large skillet over medium heat. Combine all burger ingredients in a large mixing bowl in the order listed. Using your hands or a large wooden spoon combine all ingredients until well incorporated, but do not over-mix. Divide mixture into four equal parts and gently form each portion into patties. Use your thumb to press a dimple into the center of each patty to facilitate more even cooking. When skillet comes to desired temperature add remaining tbsp olive oil to the pan to coat and immediately add each of the burgers, dimple side up. Cook for 2-3 minutes until brown, then carefully turn the burgers and add 1 tbsp bleu cheese to the center of each burger. Cook for an additional 1-3 minutes, or until burger reaches desired temperature (150 for medium, 165f for medium well). Tent burgers with foil and allow to rest while arranging a bed of arugula, cherry tomatoes and red onion. Place burger on bed of greens and serve!
- 1 lb. Ground turkey meat
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely or grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Zest and juice of one large lemon
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz. Plain greek yogurt, low or full fat
- 1/2 cup grated or finely chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup grated or finely chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- A dash of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large lettuce leaves, folded or cut in half ( i used baby romaine, but any kind will work)
- Sliced tomatoes, small ones work best
- Kalamata black olives, sliced
1. In a large bowl, mix all of the burger ingredients together, being careful not to overwork the mixture. Form into 12 small patties, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare tzatziki sauce by mixing all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and refrigerating until ready to serve burgers.2. Preheat grill to 450 degrees. Remove patties from refrigerator, and place on preheated grill. Cook for 3 minutes on each side.3. Serve patties on lettuce leaves, topped with prepared tzatziki, tomatoes and olives. Enjoy!