Fall is the perfect time for a potluck. Here, lifestyle expert Maureen Petrosky makes figs with honey and feta, corn soup, slow cooker barbecue brisket and a rum shaker cocktail.
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 1/2 ounces light rum like Denizen
- 6 dashes bitters
- Whole mint sprigs for garnish Ice
Place mint leaves into the canning jar with simple syrup and lime juice. Using a muddler or wooden spoon, gently mix together and bruise the mint leaves. Add the rum and bitters. Place the lid on the canning jar securely until you are safely at your destination. Once you have arrived, add ice, and place the lid back on securely. Shake vigorously to chill. Remove lid, add a sprig of mint and a straw and enjoy.
- 24 fresh figs
- 24, 1/2 inch cubes of feta, about 8 ounces
- 1/4 cup of mint, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup warm honey, for drizzling, can warm in microwave for 10 seconds
- 3/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped fine for sprinkling (you can use almonds or walnuts as a substitute)
Score each fig at the skinny top with an X. Toss the feta with the mint. Place one cube of cheese in each fig. Drizzle with the warm honey and sprinkle with nuts.
- 2, 10- ounce bags of sweet corn (or -10 ears fresh)
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
- *If you want to make an awesome corn soup and don
In a large pot, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the corn and stir to warm the kernels. Add the potatoes and cover with the chicken stock. Reserve the remaining chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove from the heat. Place the soup into a blender and puree. Strain and discard all of the corn kernels. Place the liquid back into the pot and reheat adding the remaining chicken stock. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. You may serve this hot or cold.
- 1, 3 1/2- 4 pound beef brisket, fat trimmed (not corned), seasoned with salt, pepper and a teaspoon of chili powder, pan seared (if you need to halve your brisket to fit it in your pan to sear that is fine)
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped, cooked and drained
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 12 ounces stout like Guiness
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce (your own or your fave store bought)
In a crock pot set to low, layer the sliced onion across the bottom. Place the pan seared brisket on top of that. In bowl combine the stout and the bbq sauce and the garlic. Pour over the brisket. Place the lid on and cook for 8 to 10 hours (depending on size). Cook longer to shred and shorter if you want to slice.