Perfect your summer barbecuing skills with Martha Stewart's smart and easy-to-follow grilling ideas and recipes. These chicken dishes are perfect for any outdoor cookout or meal:
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), rinsed
1. Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, paprika, and salt in a nonreactive baking dish or large resealable plastic bag.2. Remove backbone from chicken using kitchen shears. Place chicken, breast side up, on cutting board, with legs extended on both sides. Press firmly on breastbone to break it and flatten chicken. Add to marinade.Cover dish or seal bag, and refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight), turning occasionally.3. Preheat grill to medium. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 5 or 6 seconds.) Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill. Close cover, and grill 15 minutes. Flip chicken, and close cover. Grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees, about 20 minutes more.
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin on
1. Bring wine, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to a boil in a saucepan.2. Reduce heat, and simmer until mixture has thickened to the consistency of honey, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.3. Using a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes through the skin and flesh on both sides of each drumstick (this will help the flavors permeate the meat).4. Preheat grill to medium-low. (If you are using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for just 7 seconds.) Place drumsticks on grill, and brush with sauce. Close cover, and grill 4 minutes. Flip chicken, and brush with sauce. Continue to cook, flipping and brushing with sauce every 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through, about 20 minutes total. Season with salt. Serve with coleslaw.
For more helpful tips and recipe ideas, visit www.marthastewart.com/grilling.