Martha Stewart dishes on snacks, Snoop and sex in Reddit's latest AMA
For one amazing hour, the one and only Martha Stewart logged on to Reddit and answered more than 100 questions as a part of the site's Ask Me Anything series. The conversation, which garnered about 2,000 comments, was honest, hilarious and full of Martha’s trademark lifestyle tips. As usual, she was the very picture of intelligent grace ... even when discussing sex toys. Here are the most interesting things we learned.
When visiting someone’s home, “I learned many years ago never to criticize, only compliment. Even if their home is horrifyingly awful.”
Snacks are gauche. “I never serve snacks at parties. It's either hors devours [sic] or a meal. Hors devours are prepared foods one would serve with meals or wine. Snacks are something you get out of a bag or a box.”
On the kale trend: “I grow all kinds of kale — from green to red to black. I use it cooked, finely chopped in salads, and in soups. I do not think it is overrated.”
She learned a lot from Julia Child. “I've tried every single one of Julia's recipes in her French cookbooks. She was a wonderful teacher, and she inspired all of us to expand our cooking repertoire.”
She flashed her classic wit. Redditor: “How do I keep the inside of my car from getting dirty so fast? I feel like a trash bag is too tacky.” Martha: “Too tacky for what?” *Slow clap.*
She even discussed her time in prison. When asked whether she has any cool prison tats, Martha comes back with, “I would not EVER, EVER deface my body with tattoos.” And did she have a prison nickname? “I think I did, but I can't remember. I don't think about the past.”
Martha has great tastes in music. Her favorite singer? “Pharrell Williams. He's so cute. I've actually seen him in person and adore his good humor.” And her buddy Snoop? “I wish I were closer friends with Snoop Dogg.” She even tagged him in a thread, trying to get him on the AMA by saying, “Join us Snoop!”
She weighed in on the 2016 election. When one fan imagined Martha as president of the United States, she quipped, “Sounds like a good idea, but I think there will be another strong woman candidate.”
She said that the next time she has a completely free day (as if), she will “watch the entire 13 hours of a new season of 'House of Cards.'”
She’s tech-savvy! “I have always tried to stay ahead of the tech curve. I use the new Samsung notebook, I use the iPhone, and low and behold, I still have a new Blackberry. All I need now is one phone number for all of them. Oh, by the way, a question of everyone: Do you really believe Ellen took that selfie with her Samsung? Seemed like a lot of people in one little picture from such a short distance!”
- She and her team gained quite a bit of weight making the "Martha Stewart’s Cookies" cookbook in 2008.
- Want to get your DIY skills noticed by Martha Stewart Living? Promote yourself on Pinterest and Instagram.
- Martha does not swear.
- Her sex tip: "Always take a bath before and after."
- Online dating is “old news.”
- She changes her bed sheets every day, as a luxury.
- Her favorite movie this year was "The Wolf of Wall Street."
- Ana Gasteyer of "SNL" does Martha’s favorite parody of herself.
- Top 3 hosting rules: 1. Pay attention to your guests. 2. Interact with them. 3. Feed them fine food and wine.
- Towels should last at least 20 years.
- Gravenstein or Macoun apples make the best pies.
- She paints over the soles of her Louboutins because she doesn’t like the red bottoms.