Make light and flavorful food for a day at the beach
Simple meals to take to the pool or beachPlay Video
Make this seafood étouffée to celebrate Mardi Gras the Cajun way
Add spice to your Valentine's treats: Chocolate chipotle brownies and more
Nashville-style hot chicken to put you in the mood for love
Salted caramel chocolate tart: Food to get you in the mood
Save cash this summer when you head to the beach or the pool by bringing your own food. Here, Ariane Duarte, contributing chef for Prevention magazine shares her simple and savory recipes for a juicy fruit "cocktail," a white bean dip with pistachios and cilantro and a tuna rice-paper wrap.
- 3 cups cranberry or pomegranate juice
- 2 cups sparkling cider
- 1 cup seltzer water
Pour the juice, cider, and water an ice-filled pitcher and stir gently with a long swizzle stick or iced teaspoon.
Nutritional info per serving: 78.2 cal, 0.5 g pro, 20.4 g carb, 0.1 g fiber, 0.2 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 10.5 mg sodium.
- 1 can (15.5 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/4 lemon)
- 1 tsp coriander seed, crushed or ground
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp finely chopped pistachios
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped scallion (white part only)
1. Puree beans, lemon juice, coriander, and garlic in food processor until smooth. 2. Stir in cilantro, oil, pistachios, and scallion. Season dip to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve with pita and raw vegetables.
Nutritional info per serving (dip only): 145 cal, 4 g pro, 12 g carb, 3 g fiber, 9 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 0 mg chol, 169 mg sodium
- 1 can (12 ounces) water-packed light tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Hot-pepper sauce (optional)
- 4 round rice-paper wrappers
1. In a bowl, combine the tuna, mayonnaise, scallion, celery, carrot, cilantro or basil, oil, salt, pepper, and a few drops of hot-peppersauce (if using). Stir to mix well. 2. Prepare the rice-paper wrappers according to the package directions. Lay the papers on a moistened tray or work surface. Spoon one-fourth of the tuna mixture and spoon on one side of each wrapper. Roll into packets, folding sides in first and rolling from the bottom into a tube. Garnish with cilantro or basil leaves and serve immediately.
Nutritional info per serving:120.3 cal, 20 g pro, 2 g carb, 0.3 g fiber, 3.3 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 370.5 mg sodium.