Make healthier pizza, dressing and milkshakes
Build healthier pizzas with tasty substitutionsPlay Video
Bacon Flavored Seaweed?
Call to 911: 'I Bought Some Chinese Food and It's Not to Par…'
General Mills Announces Cereal Shake-Up
Possible E-Coli Triggers Bottled Water Recall
Striving for a healthy diet can often mean giving up some of your favorite guilty-pleasure foods, but TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer proves that doesn't always have to be the case. She's offering up healthy alternatives to three crave-worthy favorites.
Makes 1 serving
- Oil spray
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, preferably no-salt-added
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- 1 whole grain, high-fiber tortilla
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Optional toppings like vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, olives, hot peppers), cooked turkey sausage crumbles, or turkey pepperoni
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat the pizza pan or baking sheet with oil spray. Place tortilla on baking sheet and spray top with oil spray. Put tortilla in oven for 2-5 minutes until toasty. Prepare the pizza sauce: In a small bowl stir together tomato sauce and preferred seasonings to taste. Once tortilla is to desired crispness, remove from oven and evenly spread the pizza sauce on top. Then, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Add preferred toppings. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly.
Makes 4 servings (2 tablespoons each)
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fat-free buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 finely chopped scallion
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and stir well until combined.
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 cup light chocolate ice cream
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ice cubes
- Whipped topping (optional)
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until shake is smooth and creamy.