- 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp salt2 cups sugar
- 1 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp cider vinegar6 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 batch Creamy Vanilla Frosting.
Yield: 24 Servings
- In a medium-size saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk until smooth. Place over medium heat and, stirring constantly, cook until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to bubble, 10-15 mins. Cover with waxed paper placed directly on the surface and cool to room temperature, about 30 mins.
- In a large bowl, on the medium high speed of an electric mixer, beat the butter for 3 mins, until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating continuously for 3 mins until fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Add the cooled milk mixture, and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes, until very smooth and noticeably whiter in color. Cover and refrigerate for 15 mins (no less and no longer—set a timer!). Use immediately.
This recipe originally appeared on iVillage.