Home Chef Challenge winner: Grilled eggplant rollatini
Try this hearty, delicious vegetable and cheese dish from Donna Elick, winner of the latest Home Chef Challenge round. Learn more about Donna and enter the competition or vote on the latest round and enter your own recipes here.
- 2 Medium Eggplant, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for grilling
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced very thin
- 16 sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, thin sliced
- 8 teaspoons Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
Drizzle eggplant with EVOO and sprinkle with salt. Place face down on grill, drizzle other side of eggplant with EVOO and sprinkle with salt. Grill each side until done. Remove to a cooling rack. Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl combine ricotta, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. Lay cooled eggplant on a baking sheet. Lay a piece of mozzarella, one entire sun-dried tomato thin sliced and one tablespoon of ricotta mixture. Roll eggplant and close with a toothpick. Sprinkle each eggplant rollatini with 1/2 teaspoon of bread crumbs. Place in oven for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and place in serving dish, cover in tomato sauce, parmesan cheese and serve.