Healthy eats that save on cost, cooking time and calories
Eat smart: Save on cost, cooking time, caloriesPlay Video
Bacon Flavored Seaweed?
Call to 911: 'I Bought Some Chinese Food and It's Not to Par…'
General Mills Announces Cereal Shake-Up
Possible E-Coli Triggers Bottled Water Recall
TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer shares some recipes that are easy on the wallet -- and on your schedule.
- Cost per serving: $0.65
- Cook/prep time: 10 minutes
- Calories: 265
Makes 1 large pancake
- 1/2 cup oats, rolled, quick cooking
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
Generously coat a skillet with oil spray and preheat over medium heat.
In a small bowl whip together all of the ingredients. Pour the mixture onto the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown, on each side.
- Cost per serving: $0.99
- Cook/Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Calories: 340
Makes 3 one-cup servings
- 6 ounces canned salmon
- 1 fifteen ounce can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
In a medium bowl, mash the salmon. Mix in the chickpeas, onion, and red pepper.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar. Pour the dressing over the salmon mixture and stir thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Cost per serving: $1.39
- Cook/prep time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 175
Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders (boneless, skinless)
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, (like Frank's Red Hot)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
Creamy blue cheese dip:
- 5 ounces 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (more to taste if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (more to taste if needed)
Preheat oven to 375. Coat baking dish with oil spray and set aside.
Mix hot sauce, paprika and ground red pepper in a bowl. Coat each tenderloin on both sides in sauce and set in baking dish in single layer. Bake in oven uncovered for 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
While chicken is cooking, make dip by mixing blue cheese, yogurt, pepper, garlic and onion powder until velvety smooth.
- Cost per serving: $0.42
- Cook/prep time: 4 hours (but only 5 minutes prep!)
- Calories: 175
Makes 1 serving
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter
- Dark chocolate chips, semisweet (optional)
- Strawberries, diced (optional)
Split the banana lengthwise into two halves. Spread one half with the peanut butter. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or chopped strawberries if desired.
Sandwich the two banana halves together and wrap the entire banana in plastic wrap. Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours.