- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 8-9 cups of 1-inch cubed bread (any bread, even rolls, leftover or fresh)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white wine (if no wine, increase milk by 1/2 cup)
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/3-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 4 cups arugula leaves, or other leafy green
- 12 ounces cheese, sliced or grated (pretty much any cheese, Cheddar, Gouda, blue, brie, Swiss, Gruyere, etc.)
- 8 eggs
- 8 ounces sliced ham, Canadian bacon or prosciutto, etc.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Butter a casserole dish, such as a 9x13 rectangular or 10x15 oval. Add the milk and wine to the bread cubes, and toss to blend and absorb. Pour into the dish and spread level. Cover the bread with the sliced tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper. Spread the pesto over the tomatoes. Cover with the arugula leaves. Distribute the cheese evenly over the arugula. Whisk the eggs well, and pour over the layers, reserving about a cup. Lay the ham slices over the top, covering the surface. More than one layer is OK. Drizzle the remaining egg over the ham, and top with the Parmesan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove dish from refrigerator and let sit for 30-40 minutes at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake in center of oven for 40-45 minutes, until bubbly, slightly puffed, and light brown on top. Let sit 10-15 minutes before serving.
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- Bread, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (a mostly white bread is best, country, baguette, ciabatta, etc., crust and all)
- 12 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or scrape the seeds from 1 fat vanilla bean)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Spread the 2 tablespoons butter over the bottom and sides of a ceramic casserole dish, such as a 9x13 rectangular or 10x15 oval. Lay the bread slices on their sides in the bottom of the dish in one layer, fitting them in tightly. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the cinnamon and vanilla and whisk to blend. Add the sugar, half-and-half, orange zest and salt and whisk to blend well. Pour over the bread and press down on the slices to absorb. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove dish from refrigerator and let sit for 30-40 minutes at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar over the top. Bake in center of oven for about 40 minutes, until slightly puffed, and golden brown on top. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve with warm maple syrup.