Give your children something different after dinner or for their next school bake sale with these fun and delicious treats from Susan Westmoreland from Good Housekeeping. She shares recipes for ice cream cone cupcakes, lollipop cookies and more.
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) yellow or white cake mix
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla and/or chocolate frosting
- 2 boxes (1 3/4 ounce each) waffle-style ice cream cone cups (24 cones)
- Assorted sprinkles
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare cake mix as label directs. Spoon batter into cones, filling each about 2/3 full. Place cones on two large cookie sheets or jelly-roll pans for easier handling.2. Bake cones until toothpick comes out clean, 20-22 minutes. Cool cones completely on cookie sheets on wire racks.3. To decorate cupcakes, with small metal spatula spread 2 tablespoons of frosting on cake in each cone; top with sprinkles.
Each frosted cupcake: about 330 calories, 3g protein, 55g carbohydrate, 11g total fat (3g saturated), 1g fiber, 23mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium.
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 24 large marshmallows (5.6 ounces)
- 4 cups puffed rice cereal
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons roasted, salted, Spanish peanuts, chopped
1. Spray 8" by 8" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.2. In microwave-safe 4-quart bowl, combine peanut butter and marshmallows. Cover bowl with vented plastic wrap and cook in microwave on High for 1 minute until melted. With a rubber spatula, quickly stir in puffed rice cereal until evenly coated. With hand, evenly pat puffed rice mixture into prepared baking pan.3. In cup, heat chocolate in microwave on High 35-45 seconds, until soft; stir until smooth. With offset spatula, spread melted chocolate top of puffed rice mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts; gently press nuts to adhere to chocolate.4. Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until chocolate is set. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 4 pieces.
Each treat: about 134 calories, 3g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 7g total fat (2g saturated), 1g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) cake mix of choice
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick), melted
- 2 large eggs
- 12 woden ice cream bar sticks
- 1 recipe Vanilla frosting (see below) or 1 can vanilla frosting
- Food coloring
- Candies for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two large cookie sheets. 2. In medium bowl, with wooden spoon, stir cake mix, butter, and eggs until blended and smooth. Drop dough by scant 1/4 cups, about 5 inches apart, onto cookie sheets to make 4 cookies on each sheet (dough will be sticky). Place one end of an ice cream bar stick into each mound of dough. With hand, flatten each into 2 1/2 inch round. 3. Bake cookies until lightly browned around edges, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. With wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.4. To decorate cookies, tint frosting with food coloring as desired. Spread about 2 tablespoons frosting on each cookie. Embellish with candies. Vanilla icing:1. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, 6 tablespoons softened butter, 3 tablespoons whole milk, and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract until blended. 2. Increase speed to medium-high; beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
Each frosted cookie: about 430 calories, 3g protein, 61g carbohydrate, 20g total fat (8g saturated), 1g fiber, 58mg cholesterol, 420mg sodium