Fire up the grill and dig into steaks on Memorial Day
Kenny Callaghan, the executive chef and pitmaster at Blue Smoke and Jazz Standard in New York City, knows his way around a grill. To help you get ready for Memorial Day, here are Callaghan's recipes for herb-marinated hanger steak and roasted corn and cherry tomato salad.
- 4 pieces 6-8 ounce trimmed hanger steaks
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
1. Place trimmed hanger steaks in a bowl with herbs.2. With the side of a knife lightly crush garlic cloves. Add to bowl.3. Add olive oil.4. Allow to marinate for 2 hours, mixing occasionally.5. Remove from marinade and allow most of the oil to drip away.6. Season steaks liberally with Kosher salt and black pepper to taste.7. On a hot grill cook steaks for 3-4 minutes per side, turning occasionally (or until medium-rare or desired doneness).8. Allow steak to cool for at least 5 minutes after it is removed from the grill before slicing.9. Be sure to slice steak thin and against the grain.
- 2 cups grilled corn
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup toasted red and yellow peppers
- 2 pints mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch julienned green basil
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half and blanched
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1. Remove husks from corn. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill over high heat.2. When corn has cooled, remove from cob with a knife.3. Cut roasted peppers into 1/4-inch dice.4. Split cherry tomatoes in half.5. Julienne the basil.6. Mix the tomatoes, corn, peppers, basil and onions in a mixing bowl. 7. Season salad with balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper.