Kenny Callaghan, the executive chef and pitmaster at Blue Smoke and Jazz Standard in New York City, knows his way around a grill. To help you get ready for Memorial Day, here are Callaghan's recipes for herb-marinated hanger steak and roasted corn and cherry tomato salad.
- 4 pieces 6-8 ounce trimmed hanger steaks
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
1. Place trimmed hanger steaks in a bowl with herbs.2. With the side of a knife lightly crush garlic cloves. Add to bowl.3. Add olive oil.4. Allow to marinate for 2 hours, mixing occasionally.5. Remove from marinade and allow most of the oil to drip away.6. Season steaks liberally with Kosher salt and black pepper to taste.7. On a hot grill cook steaks for 3-4 minutes per side, turning occasionally (or until medium-rare or desired doneness).8. Allow steak to cool for at least 5 minutes after it is removed from the grill before slicing.9. Be sure to slice steak thin and against the grain.
- 2 cups grilled corn
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup toasted red and yellow peppers
- 2 pints mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 bunch julienned green basil
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half and blanched
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion
- 1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1. Remove husks from corn. Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill over high heat.2. When corn has cooled, remove from cob with a knife.3. Cut roasted peppers into 1/4-inch dice.4. Split cherry tomatoes in half.5. Julienne the basil.6. Mix the tomatoes, corn, peppers, basil and onions in a mixing bowl. 7. Season salad with balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper.