In the mood for something luscious and sweet? Try these two enticing entrees that show cherries aren't just for dessert. On the menu from Martha Stewart: grilled tilapia with cherry salsa and chicken salad with cherries and goat cheese dressing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound (2 cups) Bing cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 4 tilapia fillets – 4 to 6 ounces each
Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. In a medium bowl, combine cherries, onion, cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set salsa aside. In a small bowl, stir together coriander, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub tilapia all over with oil; sprinkle with spice mixture. Grill tilapia until opaque around the edges and underside loosens easily from grill, 2-3 minutes. Using a metal spatula with a thin blade, flip fish; continue to cook until opaque throughout about 2-3 minutes. Serve topped with salsa.
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- 1 head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 pound (2 cups) Bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, goat cheese, chives, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Set dressing aside. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Thinly slice chicken crosswise.
Divide lettuce among four plates; top with chicken, cherries, and walnuts. Serve salad with dressing alongside.
For more recipes and cooking tips, visit Martha Stewart online.