Celebrate the 4th with mini berry cream pies, popsicles
Planning a 4th of July cookout? Serve these treats and sides for your guests. Here, Jessie Price of Eating Well magazine shares recipes for mini berry cream pies, pomegranate floats, red, white and blue potato salad and more.
Makes about 10 (3-ounce) freezer pops
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups limeade
- Ten 3-ounce (or similar-size) freezer-pop molds
Divide raspberries and blueberries among freezer-pop molds. Pour limeade over berries. Insert the sticks and freeze until completely firm, about 6 hours. Dip the molds briefly in hot water before unmolding.
To make ahead: Freeze for up to 3 weeks.
Makes 15 servings
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup low fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 15 frozen mini phyllo cups (1.9-ounce package)
- 15 blueberries
- 15 raspberries
Beat cream in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar; beat until stiff. Fold in yogurt. Divide the yogurt cream among the phyllo cups, keeping phyllo cups in their plastic tray. Top each with one raspberry and one blueberry. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 4 hours.
Makes 1 servings
- 1/3 cup pomegranate-flavored or plain seltzer
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh blueberries
Combine seltzer and juice in a glass. Add frozen yogurt and top with blueberries. Serve with a spoon.
Makes 8 servings, about 2/3 cup each
- 2 pounds baby potatoes, a blend of white and blue
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with lightly salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a cutting board. Let cool for 20 minutes. Cut the cooled potatoes in half. 2. Whisk lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. 3. Just before serving, add roasted red peppers, scallions and mint to the salad and toss gently.
Makes 2 dozen
- 24 blue corn tortilla chips
- 3/4 cup fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup finely crumbled cotija cheese
Drain any excess liquid from the salsa. Top chips with salsa and sprinkle each chip with cotija cheese. Serve immediately.
Get more recipes at EatingWell.com.