Summer weekends are meant for sleeping in, leisurely brunches and lounging with the paper and a cup of coffee. These five make-ahead breakfast casseroles — both savory and sweet — are perfect for serving family members or guests with a minimum of fuss; just prep them the day before and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, pop them in the oven for an effortless, delicious meal that lets you make the most of those lazy summer days.
1. Heirloom Tomato Breakfast Casserole: This beautiful casserole from The Yellow Table makes good use of summer shallots, garlic and fresh basil, along with sweet, delectable heirloom tomatoes. Look for tomatoes in a variety of colors and alternate hues for the prettiest effect.
2. Zucchini Breakfast Casserole: When summer squash season hits, there’s always an overload of quick-growing, abundant zucchini. Simply Recipes’ solution? This easy egg-and-bread casserole, which includes grated zucchini, basil, tomatoes, Parmesan and ricotta cheese.
3. Italian Pesto Breakfast Bake: For this casserole from Behind the Plates, you’ll whip up a batch of fresh pesto with basil, Parmesan, pine nuts and garlic in your food processor — it’s much tastier than the store-bought variety. But don’t worry, there’s another shortcut in the recipe to make prep easier: pre-made hash browns.
4. Peach Cobbler French Toast Casserole: Fresh peaches are the star of this decadent cinnamon-filled dish from Oh, Sweet Basil. If you have any leftovers from breakfast, you may want to save them for dessert later that night.
5. Overnight Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Casserole: Add a little strawberry-cream cheese goodness to your typical French toast for a brunch dish that’s a real treat. Mom on Timeout’s strategy is brilliant — just assemble cut-up strawberry-cheesecake sandwiches in a casserole dish, pile on more berries and cheesecake mixture, and bake (after an overnight rest in the fridge, of course).