Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM ET
Uh oh. Could pro hoofer Maksim Chmerkovskiy's angry words from last season of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" be coming back to bite him? In an interview with the Canadian version of "Entertainment Tonight," the ballroom bad boy admitted, "I still don't know if I'm on the show" for the upcoming season.
Added his brother, new "DWTS" pro Val, "We're not lying when we say we have no idea."
Maks has never been shy to express his feelings on the show, but he may have gone a smidge too far last season when he lashed out. After what he considered unfair nitpicking of his celeb partner, soccer star Hope Solo, Maks told head judge Len Goodman during a live taping that maybe he should retire, had a few unpleasant exchanges with judge Carrie Ann Inaba and even declared "Dancing" to be his show. That last move angered some fans, and reportedly irked some show staffers as well. Oops ...
And with the cast announcement coming early Tuesday morning, there isn't too much time left to figure out the celeb-pro pairings.
"Maybe (all the celebrities are) going to be really short and it's not going to be a good pairing," Maks, who is 6'2", theorized. "I'm not lying to you, I didn't get the call yet."
The "Dancing" powers that be may not have given him a ring so far, but rest assured that the self-proclaimed "sex on a stick" wants to return. In an earlier interview with People, Maks said, "I love ('DWTS') and I love what it stands for. I definitely want to keep doing it."
He reiterated that feeling during the "ET" interview, saying, "I'm happy to return every season. ... I'm very appreciative of what I've done, of what the show has done for me."
The celebrity cast will be announced Feb. 28 during "Good Morning America" on ABC.
Should Maks return for season 14, or would a season off do him some good? Tell us what you think on our Facebook page!