Jan. 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM ET
After Charlie Sheen's third hospitalization in as many months, many are wondering what, if anything, his bosses at "Two and a Half Men" should be doing about his destructive lifestyle.
CBS president Nina Tassler earlier this month told reporters that there is a "high level of concern" over Sheen, but the situation can't be looked at simply, saying, "Right now the show continues to be a hit. Everyone is doing their job and things are continuing as planned.
That's not to say that CBS and Warner Bros. TV are simply sitting on the sidelines, spectators to the same debacle playing out in the media. According to sources who spoke to Entertainment Weekly, "representatives from both companies have recently approached Sheen with offers to temporarily halt production so the actor/father can seek the help he needs."
Sheen reportedly turned down this offer.
The companies' offer appears to be the first step in actually getting Sheen some help, but also a first step in protecting the guy responsible for their hits. In 2009-2010, the average cost for a 30-second ad on "Men" was $226,635, according to research by Advertising Age; the show averages 14.7 million viewers. In other words, CBS can't afford to lose Sheen. "He is 'Two and a Half Men,' one network source said. "Without him, there's no show. They just need to keep him showing up for work, and they need him not to hurt himself, or anyone else."