Dancing With the Stars

'Dancing' finally boots one of its less talented hopefuls

Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:00 PM ET

Adam Taylor / ABC /
Chaz Bono and pro Lacey Schwimmer tangoed to "Phantom of the Opera" on Monday.

Having a big voting bloc certainly helps when a celebrity competes on “Dancing With the Stars,” but that will only get you so far if you lack dancing skill.

For author and activist Chaz Bono (and Cher's son), his fans and supporters carried him to an impressive week six before he finally got the (long-deserved) boot. Since the first week, his scores have landed him at or near the bottom of the scoreboard. Monday’s messy 19-point tango was no different, and viewers finally spent their votes elsewhere.

But though his dances were far from perfect, you can’t fault the guy for trying, and for a good cause. He stuck in the competition through painful injuries and tough criticism from the judges, all to “show America a different kind of man,” as Bono said after his elimination.

“If there was somebody like me on TV when I was growing up, my whole life would’ve been different,” he explained. “So I dedicate everything I did to all the people out there like me, and especially the kids and teens who are struggling. You’re going to have a wonderful great life and be successful and happy.”

It was certainly an uplifting and positive message at the end of a drama-filled week. (Like the show on night two would ignore a spat that fans were still buzzing about!) Earlier in the night on Tuesday, “DWTS” showed Bono siding (in his own way) with pro Maks Chmerkovskiy, who on Monday lashed out at judge Len Goodman for criticizing partner Hope Solo’s sad, unsexy rumba.  

Bono, unhappy with the remarks for his tango, told the cameras, “If you’re an overweight guy trying to do this competition … they penalize you and call you a penguin. Bruno $&%#*^@ makes comments about me being cute and cuddly and this … like I’m some fat troll dancing with this beautiful woman every week. And I’m sick of it.”

As viewers know, so was Maks. In addition to his outburst in front of the panel on live TVfrom the night before, “Dancing” showed a backstage clip of the fiery Ukranian pro continuing to vent his frustration. “I’m kind of tired of having (Hope) be judged on meticulous technique and footwork while somebody else is walking around the floor and getting A for effort,” he said.

But it didn’t quite end there. (Of course not. Drama equals ratings!) While talking to co-host Brooke Burke Charvet on Tuesday, Maks did issue a mea culpa of sorts. When she asked him if he thought the judges are entitled to their opinions (oh, Brooke), he had this to say: “Of course … so are we!”

Maks also explained Monday’s comment that caused jaws to drop ("This is my show!"). “I think the one thing I really want to apologize for is that I kind of had an idea in my head and it came out wrong. It’s not my show, I’m part of a very large cast and I’m very proud of being here. These guys right here are amazing. That’s all.”

The end. (Until his next blowup in front of the judging panel, that is.)

Was it the right time for Chaz's exit? What did you think of Maks' apology? Share your thoughts on our Facebook page!

Related content:

TOP