March 28, 2011 at 2:16 PM ET
“Dancing With the Stars” fans who've voiced their displeasure about Chris Brown’s upcoming appearance on the show just might have an on-set ally in Tom Bergeron.
Bergeron hasn’t actually spoken out against Brown’s planned spot, but during a radio interview with Ryan Seacrest, he confessed he told the “Dancing” powers-that-be that they shouldn’t ask him to chat with the controversy-courting singer.
“Here’s the thing, I did say to the producers it might be to their advantage to not have me interview him, because my natural tendency would be to say something,” the “Dancing” host told his “American Idol” counterpart. “So don’t put me in a position where you are asking me to not say something, because I really won’t do that — even if it’s just a snarky little aside, 'How was your week?'”
As for whether or not Bergeron will even introduce the temperamental performer, he said he would, but joked, “They will probably have me in a Hannibal Lecter suit!”
Brown’s “Dancing” appearance will mark his first visit to an ABC show since his now-notorious “Good Morning America” spot last week.