March 31, 2011 at 8:01 PM ET
Having to wait until 2012 for season five of "Mad Men" to air may be tough on fans, but at least now we can all rest easy that this is likely the last ridiculously long delay for the show.
AMC and Lionsgate have just announced that they've signed a multiseason deal with creator and showrunner Matthew Weiner. The deal means "Mad Men" will be back not just for seasons five and six, but also a potential seventh season.
"I want to thank all of our wonderful fans for their support," Weiner said in a statement. "I also want to thank AMC and Lionsgate for agreeing to support the artistic freedom of myself, the cast the crew so that we can continue to make the show exactly as we have from the beginning. I'm excited to get started on the next chapter of our story."
"We also appreciate the passion and patience of 'Mad Men' fans around the world who have been awaiting this good news, and we believe they will be rewarded with many more seasons of this extraordinary and groundbreaking series," said Lionsgate Television Group president Kevin Beggs in a statement.
But that new deal is not the only good news. In an interview with Vulture, Weiner revealed that he got nearly everything he wanted -- including no cast cuts. (It was reported earlier in the week that AMC had asked him to pink slip a shocking six characters.) "I'm thrilled," he said.
"Mad Men" debuted on AMC in 2007 and is the only cable series to win the Emmy for best drama and the Golden Globe for best TV drama three years in a row.