March 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM ET
We're really trying not to let death and despair be the jumping off point every week, but it's hard to get around the fact that when Davy Jones died this week it was a big story.
For that and more of the material that will help you sound like the entertainment smartypants at the end of the bar, get caught up now with 10 clicks.
1. The worst part of having a leap day in February this year is that it happened to be the day Davy Jones died. The former teen heartthrob and Monkees star was just 66 when he suffered a fatal heart attack. The best part of this click is it'll get you to a bunch of videos and a slideshow and let you vote on your favorite song. Hey, hey! ... goodbye.
2. Yes, "The Artist" won best picture at the Oscars last weekend and yes the ceremony was as boring as you'd feared it was going to be. But raise your hand if a certain leg didn't have you chuckling on Monday morning. Thanks, Angelina Jolie, for striking a pose the Internet could run with.
3. Fisker Karma may sound like something you'd suffer from if you were a jerk to your cat, but it's actually the name of a very expensive hybrid sports car. And Justin Bieber got one for his 18th birthday. The pop star's manager presented him with the $100,000 gift on "Ellen" this week, where he told Bieber, "We decided to get you a car that would make you stand out." Glad they fixed that problem for the reclusive teen.
4. In case you missed it while working on that monogrammed onesie for Blue Ivy, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner added a baby boy to the family mix that already included daughters Violet and Seraphina. The newborn lad got himself a proper name, too.
5. Duggars! We just like saying that. The family of 19 (and counting!) stirred up some news recently when a woman apparently attempted to extort Amy, niece of Jim Bob, with what she contended were "racy" photos. "It's completely laughable," Amy said on TODAY, and clicking over here will prove just that.
6. Urkel, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Martina Navratilova walk into a ballroom ... Sorry, we don't have a punchline. You'll have to tune into season 14 of "Dancing With the Stars" to make up your own as the new cast was announced this week. Derek Hough and Maria Menounos -- we're calling it here.
7. Change your plans if you were headed to Target for a greeting card for that special someone and you wanted to get in a shot at Whitney Houston in the process. The retailer pulled a card off its shelves that mocked the singer's marriage to Bobby Brown. It apparently originated well before the singer's death -- you know, during that time when making fun of her troubled life was hilarious.
8. Zac Efron was a big talker last week when he dropped a condom on the red carpet at the premiere of his new kid flick "The Lorax." A week and a half appears to have not been enough time to diminish the sting of embarrassment as the actor and TODAY host Matt Lauerblushed and chuckled through a safe sex discussion on Thursday.
9. "American Idol"managed to find 13 guys and girls worthy of your TV and texting time again. The field of wannabes was finally narrowed this week and you can pick your champion based on his or her looks (isn't that how it works?) thanks to this slideshow.
10. Lindsay Lohan's comeback may very well be over by the time you're ready to cut her some slack, but we'll keep trying to get you to care about her career again (actress, btw). LiLo sat down for a chat with Matt Lauer this week ahead of a hyped return to "Saturday Night Live." Here's to hoping she knocks it out the park and the "Mean Girl" remains a clean girl.
More from the week that was: