Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM ET
1. WWE wrestler Darren Young (real name Frank Rosser) went off the script when he told the world this week that he’s gay, the first wrestler to come out while still signed. He sat down with Matt Lauer to discuss the decision, saying, “I feel by coming out I’m going to make a big difference in a lot of people’s lives. “ Later, he added that he was worried someone else would out him and it would affect his career. “I’ll be honest with you, I was terrified, and I think anybody in my shoes would feel the same way,’’ he said. “It took some guts.”
Also, newsflash! Darren says he’s in love, so back off, boys.
2. We caught up with a 7-year-old Boston Marathon bombing victim who’s gotten a prosthetic leg. Sadly, Jane Richard’s younger brother Martin was killed in the tragedy. But her parents, Bill and Denise, say she is making incredible progress — she’s even put her dancing shoes on! How’s that for positivity?
3. More good news? Your caffeine habit won’t kill you … probably, maybe. Dr. Nancy Snyderman poked holes in a recent study that suggests that people who drink four cups of coffee a day have an increased risk of death. Snyderman noted that those studied may have had pre-existing conditions and that overall, caffeine is safe. All in moderation, people!
4. Happy birthday, Kathie Lee! After counting down all week during TODAY’s Fourth Hour, KLG on Friday rang in her actual big day in style, starting with a "surprise" home visit from Hoda Kotb, and including a visit from the "Zesty Guy" and her very own husband, Frank Gifford (who shares the birthday). Plus, plenty of birthday shout-outs from celebs like Matt Damon, Channing Tatum and Allison Janney — you won't believe what Matt Lauer had to say!
5. Knit your own scarf — grandma’s pumping iron! Check out this 73-year-old powerlifter who has set a world record, lifting 181.5 pounds. Think about her the next time you want to skip that gym session!
6. This zoo was lion! (Get it?) Bad joke aside, a Chinese zoo is being accused of passing off a Tibetan mastiff dog as a lion. Turns out his roar sounded more like a bark. After customers complained, the zoo denied any attempt at deception.
7. Are you stressed? It’s the weekend, baby, you need to chill out! TODAY.com’s Amy DiLuna gets tips from Jimmy Buffett on how to relax (And yay! He says a shot of tequila in the morning is A-OK. The best birthday gift Kathie Lee could ask for).
And that's TODAY's Takeaway!