Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:55 PM ET
1. Retired ice skater Brian Boitano told Matt that coming out as gay ahead of the Winter Olympics in Russia meant going past his comfort zone.
“When the president named the delegation, and I read in the news what his message was of tolerance and diversity, I thought, I have to take this opportunity,’’ he said.
2. Millions in the Midwest and Northeast are bracing for a massive blizzard that will bring snow, “brutal” cold and travel delays. Check here for the latest updates.
3. You’re not alone: Even the president struggled to get presents delivered over the holidays.
An Illinois woman received a damaged package that included a gift that wasn’t intended for her — with a note that read from “Barack, Michelle + the girls.”
4. Are you still recovering from New Year’s Eve? Carson has a solution: his go-to, ingredient-packed Bloody Mary. Check out how he makes it:
5. Fans can’t wait for “Dumb and Dumber To,” the sequel that’s bringing Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels together for another round of slapstick mayhem.
"I've been lucky (with) the people I get to work with," Daniels told Matt. "Jim's got a one-of-a-kind gift ... and to marry what I can do with him is a joy. We blend well together."
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!