TODAY's Takeaway: Dolly's big reveal, Jenna's farewell (for now)
1. Dolly Parton invited Willie down to the Smoky Mountains for a big announcement: Dollywood is getting a $300 million upgrade.
In an exclusive interview, Willie asked the legendary singer, songwriter, actress and entrepreneur when she realized she’d “made it.”
“I feel like I'm just startin',” replied the 67-year-old.
(Isn’t she the best?)
Dollywood to undergo $300M expansion, creating jobsPlay Video
What Amy Schumer Wants to Do About Guns
Bobbi Kristina Brown Laid to Rest
Minister Comments On Amber Heard Dog Charges
ESPY Awards: The Red Carpet Readies for Caitlyn Jenner
2. TODAY fans don’t like tipping. Instead, according to a TODAY.com survey, they think American restaurants should bundle gratuity in their overall bill. Apparently restaurants agree: Some are introducing policies where service is included – no tipping necessary.
Celebrity chef Donatella Arpaia showed her skepticism of the possible shift this morning on the plaza:
“I grew up spending my summers in Europe, where it’s based on this type of policy that they’re working on,” she told Savannah. “The service is not as good as in America.”
Please don't tip! Restaurants roll out new policyPlay Video
New Amazon Prime members can split account only between 2 adults
Jet from NY to London in 1 hour? Airbus patent could make it a reality
Can Apple and Siri kill voicemail for good?
Do you have 'Career Compulsive Disorder'? How to unplug
3. The father of Newtown victim Daniel Barden said the images of Tuesday’s school shooting in Georgia hit home.
“It is frighteningly similar,’’ Mark Barden told Savannah. “I just feel so deeply for those parents and those children that had to endure that horrific scenario, and we’re just so thankful that everybody emerged OK from that.”
Newtown victim dad: Ga. gunman 'frighteningly similar'Play Video
Teen Explains Why He Killed Vegas Mom
Bombs Target Two New Mexico Churches
Family Announces Lawsuit in Sandra Bland Death
ACLU Sues Deputy Who Shackled Children at School
4. Jenna Wolfe is due any day now, which means maternity leave is starting on her blog, too.
“My life's going to change this week," she wrote. "A new word will be added to my bio: Mom."
5. Faith Hill is out. Are Al, Matt, Savannah and Natalie in? The anchors “auditioned” for the "Sunday Night Football" open in a new promo for the upcoming NFL season in (faux) four-part harmony. What do you think? Will they get the gig?
TODAY anchors sing to kick off 'Sunday Night Football'Play Video
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays: August 4, 2015
5 lucky people win a Mr. Pizza grill package
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays: July 30, 2015
Sam Kass, newest member of TODAY Food, gives us the skinny on fruit
Tomorrow on TODAY: Fan Appreciation Week continues, Jill Martin has Steals and Deals and more.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!