TODAY's Takeaway: Dolly's big reveal, Jenna's farewell (for now)
1. Dolly Parton invited Willie down to the Smoky Mountains for a big announcement: Dollywood is getting a $300 million upgrade.
In an exclusive interview, Willie asked the legendary singer, songwriter, actress and entrepreneur when she realized she’d “made it.”
“I feel like I'm just startin',” replied the 67-year-old.
(Isn’t she the best?)
Dollywood to undergo $300M expansion, creating jobsPlay Video
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl Gets Revenge for High School Band Battle Defeat
Yogi Berra: Looking Back at a Legend in a Lifetime
Esai Morales On Latinos and Hollywood: "We Don't See Our People Save the Day"
Duchess Kate's First Solo Engagement Since Birth of Charlotte
2. TODAY fans don’t like tipping. Instead, according to a TODAY.com survey, they think American restaurants should bundle gratuity in their overall bill. Apparently restaurants agree: Some are introducing policies where service is included – no tipping necessary.
Celebrity chef Donatella Arpaia showed her skepticism of the possible shift this morning on the plaza:
“I grew up spending my summers in Europe, where it’s based on this type of policy that they’re working on,” she told Savannah. “The service is not as good as in America.”
Please don't tip! Restaurants roll out new policyPlay Video
Spooky Halloween destinations sure to scare up some fun
Binge-watchers beware: Netflix rates are going up
Boeing: Our new overhead bins will hold 50 percent more bags
Norwegian Air hopes to fly you to Europe for $69
3. The father of Newtown victim Daniel Barden said the images of Tuesday’s school shooting in Georgia hit home.
“It is frighteningly similar,’’ Mark Barden told Savannah. “I just feel so deeply for those parents and those children that had to endure that horrific scenario, and we’re just so thankful that everybody emerged OK from that.”
Newtown victim dad: Ga. gunman 'frighteningly similar'Play Video
Oregon Divided Over Obama Visit
Train Hero in Serious Condition after Stabbing
Shopper Shoots at Runaway Shoplifter
Video: Judge Tells Domestic Abuse Victim 'You Haven't Even Seen Anxiety'
4. Jenna Wolfe is due any day now, which means maternity leave is starting on her blog, too.
“My life's going to change this week," she wrote. "A new word will be added to my bio: Mom."
5. Faith Hill is out. Are Al, Matt, Savannah and Natalie in? The anchors “auditioned” for the "Sunday Night Football" open in a new promo for the upcoming NFL season in (faux) four-part harmony. What do you think? Will they get the gig?
TODAY anchors sing to kick off 'Sunday Night Football'Play Video
Willard Scott presents milestone birthdays: Oct. 8, 2015
Natalie Morales meets Latin singing sensation Prince Royce
Christina Aguilera: My work as a food ambassador 'makes me emotional'
Hoda on men: I like them a little heftier
Tomorrow on TODAY: Fan Appreciation Week continues, Jill Martin has Steals and Deals and more.
And that’s TODAY’s Takeaway!