Boy, do TODAY's Facebook fans love the royals or what? And babies! And Pope Francis! A shut-down Congress, on the other hand — not so much.
This year’s most popular stories ranged from the debut of a new heir to the British throne to the quiet interaction between a boy and his dog. Take a look at our top Facebook posts of 2013, and tell us in the comments: Which was your favorite?
1. When Duchess Kate
showed off her newborn prince in July, many details of the debut were reminiscent of 31 years earlier, when Princess Diana showed off Prince William. ( 311, 296 likes)
Then and now: Duchess Kate introduces the world to her newborn prince – just as Princess Diana did 31 years ago (polka-dot dress and all).
2. Americans united in their frustration against the U.S. government when it entered a shutdown in September. Exhibit A: their love of this restaurant's message to Congress. (
To ease the strain on federal employees during the government shutdown, some restaurants in the Washington, D.C., area offered free or discounted food to furloughed workers.
3. Floridians got a pleasant surprise in March when they looked to the skies. (
Spotted in the Florida skies after the election of Pope Francis, many saw the form of an angel in these clouds and grabbed their cameras.
4. TODAY correspondent Jenna Bush Hager welcomed baby girl Mila into the world on April 13, 2013, and — lucky for us — shared photos of the newest Bush (Hager) just days later. (
Meet Mila! The Bush family introduced their newest addition, Margaret Laura “Mila” Hager, to the world Monday morning on TODAY.
The whole family, including Mila's proud grandparents, is happy and healthy!
5. Time magazine's managing editor announced its
Person of the Year — Pope Francis — on TODAY in December. Our Facebook fans were evidently happy with the selection. ( 183,370 likes)
Just in! Pope Francis is TIME’s Person of the Year. Do you agree with the decision?
6. The TODAY anchors fell in love with this heartwarming video posted to YouTube, and so did our Facebook followers. (
This video is warming hearts worldwide: A playful Labrador retriever wins over a toddler with Down syndrome.
7. Finally! Duchess Kate and Prince Will saved their first born's gender from the public, so the birth announcement was particularly special when everyone learned the baby was a boy. (
The wait is over! The Duchess of Cambridge gave birth Monday to her first child, an 8-pound, 6-ounce boy at 4:24 p.m. local time.
8. When A&E suspended "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson "indefinitely"
over his controversial comments, fans took to Facebook to lend their support. ( 139,200 likes)
The patriarch's family speak out in support as controversy continues over his anti-gay comments.
9. Matt Lauer was anchoring TODAY with former co-host Katie Couric when the planes hit the Twin Towers in 2001. He opened this year's Sept. 11 broadcast with a simple remembrance. (
“America remembers. On this 12th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the nation honors those who were lost.” – Matt Lauer
10. Did that baby just wave to the crowd? The world's hearts melted when Duchess Kate and Prince Will debuted Prince George to the world. (
BREAKING: Prince William and Duchess Kate debut their royal prince!
11. Jimmy Fallon hosted SNL's Christmas episode and Justin Timberlake was the musical guest. That excited a lot of people. (
Are you excited for Fallon and Timberlake to team up for tomorrow night's SNL?
12. TODAY lost a family member in October when "superfan" Linny Boyette passed away at 71 years old. (
TODAY lost a family member in October when "superfan" Linny Boyette passed away at 71 years old.
13. A photo can sometimes capture a moment in a way words can't. In this case, it was a dog's simple gesture. (
Kentucky police officer Jason Ellis was killed in a suspected ambush over the weekend.
At his funeral, his K-9 partner, Figo, honored him, laying a paw on his coffin.
What was your favorite Facebook post of the year? Let us know in the comments.